Web Design & Development
As a student in this course, you will learn the most important topics of front- and back-end development. This is a project-based introduction to web design and development which emphasizes standards-based and accessible design. The course introduces students to cross-platform web design and development with a focus on planning and designing effective dynamic web applications. Students will also learn how web developers should effectively plan, design, implement, and troubleshoot dynamic websites built in PHP. This includes understanding how to administer, maintain, and troubleshoot the supporting infrastructure i.e. web servers and web-based databases.
The course is designed for the beginner who wants to get a basic grasp of essential web design concepts and practical application. Developers will find the course useful to fill knowledge gaps and possibly an introduction to the latest tools, testing and/or updates to the technologies e.g. HTML5, CSS3 and PHP standards.
Foundations of Web Design & Development
- The Language of the Web
- Sites, Portals and Applications
- Front-End and Back-End Domains
- Web Standards and Protocols
- Local development environment
- Integrated development environment
- Code source repository
- What is Web Accessibility?
- What is the purpose of Section 508?
- Why Web Accessibility is Important
- Design Techniques for Websites Accessibility and Usability
Web Planning & Design
- Planning a Website
- Basic Web Design Principles
- Principles of Client Management
- Creating Wireframes, Mock-ups and Prototypes
- Capturing and documenting requirements
- Building your First Web Page
Web Design Basics
- Getting Started with HTML5
- Structure of a HTML document.
- Creating titles, paragraphs, containers, lists.
- Adding links and images.
- Working with Tables.
- Forms in HTML, including HTML5 semantic input fields
- Tags and Elements
- Defining Basic Tables
- Basic HTML Form Elements
- HTML5 Form Controls
- Linking to Audio & Video
- Embedding Audio & Video
- Introduction to CSS3
- How to add stylesheets and reference on web page
- The Box Model.
- Selecting elements with CSS3
- Specifying fonts & font Sizes
- Using techniques to style lists, forms, tables and links
- Using techniques to position images and layout elements on a page
- Grid Systems & CSS Frameworks
- Language essentials
- Form handling & validation
- Making dynamic pages
- Handling events
Web Development Basics
- Demonstrate proper basic PHP syntax, structure and coding techniques
- Use variables, constants, expressions and operators
- Comment PHP code
- Create and use Arrays
- Use String, Numbers, built-in functions & global variables
- Use HTML5/CSS3 forms with PHP
- Use PHP to send form data to database
- Upload files dynamically
- Use session and cookies
- What’s new with PHPOOP
- Setup a MySQL database
- Using phpMyAdmin to manage database
- Set up a data connection using PHP
- Search the database and display query results
- Insert, Update and Delete records
Introduction to Content Management Systems
- Installing and setting up WordPress site
- Configuring a theme
- Adding plugins & widgets
- Introduction to WordPress templating system